Before going on a long trip, your car needs a series of exams because even small problems may turn your trip into a nightmare. There are a few small exams you can do on your car to make sure it’s ready for a long drive. It’s very important not to leave the exam for the last moment, because there might be some things that need to be done which may take a day or two. Therefore, it’s recommended that you do your car exam at least a few days before your trip. Here are a few things that we, at Pristine Auto body shop recommend you check:
- Engine oil – if your oil needs to be changed anytime soon, then we recommend you change it before going on the trip.
- Transmission fluid – make sure you warm up the car first. With the engine idling, check the fluid with the dipstick after wiping it clean. If the fluid is darkish, then it’s time to change the transmission fluid altogether. If it’s low, simply add some.
- Engine antifreeze or coolant – it’s usually visible and should be anywhere between minimum and maximum marks.
- Battery – make sure there aren’t any acid leaks
- Tires – tire pressure should be indicated on the tire or in the owner’s manual. Also see if the spare tire and the jack are in good and working conditions.
- Emergency items – there are several emergency items that you may want to have in the car when going on a long trip such as: flashlight, jumper wires, tire repair kit, and a tool kit.
- Emergency Kit – make sure all the items in the emergency kit are within the expiration date.
And just in case you need auto body repairs done in Beverly Hills or West Hollywood, don’t hesitate to contact us and we’ll make everything right for your car and make it ready for your long drive.